Saturday, September 25, 2010

It's Time to Decorate

As you probably know I love everything about fall- the weather, the smell and crunch of the fallen leaves, the bonfires on a cool night, visiting apple orchards, pumpkin patches, hayrides, hot cider (and of course donuts to go with the cider), and decorating.  Yes, decorating- I love taking all the Halloween/Fall decorations down from the attic, opening the bins to the scent of leftover pumpkin spice from last year's candles, and deciding where you will place everything this year.  It is also welcomed in our home as this decorating marks the beginning of the holiday season!   

So needless to say, I have been eager as ever to get Fall underway.  As you know (since I've been complaining about it for weeks now :) ), it has been hotter than ever here- I mean really, it's September, do we really need 95 degree days?- so it has made it very difficult to get into the mood of "All Things Fall".  After making pumpkin cookies for Mia's teachers as a "Happy Fall" gift this week, I decided, we are just going to break into Fall, even if we are still wearing sundresses, tank tops, and shorts on a daily basis.  So the bins came down, the decorations were placed, but something just wasn't "so"; I wanted to add something new to our collection. 

I came up with a couple ideas, so off to Michaels we went.  This is what came of our trips, a little thought, gathering tips online, and as much creativity this "baby brained" brain could come up with:  

Haunted Pumpkins
1) Purchase either real or plastic pumpkins of 3 different sizes (I opted for plastic because Michael's pumpkins were all on sale- and I don't particularily like digging out the guts of real pumpkins).
2) Also purchase Acrylic Paint in Black and a couple paintbrushes. 
3) Place the pumpkins on top of one another after cutting the tops off the two bottom pumpkins. 
4) Sketch out your "haunted" scene- I chose trees with a washable marker. 
5) Then trace over the washable marker with a permanent marker- I chose a black Sharpie.
6) Now paint in your design with paint. 
7) Hot glue the pumpkins to one another.
  8) Place outside to aid in creating your Fall/Halloween theme. 
(I still have to add a bunch of mums, but have learned after living here for this many years- don't buy them till it is cooler out...
otherwise, they will not make it to Thanksgiving. :) ). 

Fall Pumpkins
1) Either paint real pumpkins white/cream or buy plastic ones.  (Again I opted for the plastic- one less step). 
2) Sketch out your letters with a washable marker- so you can erase your mistakes. 
3) Use a black Sharpie (I used a fat one) to trace over the washable writing. 
4) Place them on your mantel and add whatever else you choose to make your Fall/Halloween theme complete. 

Candy Corn Candles
1) Purchase candy corn (I bought 2 bags), white candles of varying heights, and a glass container. 
2) Arrange the candles in the glass container. 
3) Spread the candy corn around the candles. 
 4) Tell your daughters that you have sprayed "yucky stuff" all over the candy so we can't eat any of it. :) 

I still have more to do to add the finishing touches to the house, but these simple (you know I am NOT crafty whatsoever) crafts added a little "spunk" to the festive decor.  Now if only we could get the temperature to cool down....

Happy Decorating and Happy Fall!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment